Perfect Brown Rice - Every Time!

Perfect Brown Rice

Perfect Brown Rice - Every Time!


Making the transition to brown rice from white rice was a tough one for me. I just couldn't seem to get it right; my attempts at cooking brown rice turned out mushy or hard - never anything even remotely resembling the nutty, fluffy stuff you were served in a restaurant.

But after much searching online, I ran across a few blog posts that advocated treating the brown rice like pasta -- in other words, boiling, then straining the rice! With nothing to lose -- except some more brown rice -- I gave it a try... you know what? It works! No, it works EVERY time! This is foolproof and I love its very simplicity.

Adjust the measurements to suit your needs. The recipe below makes my usual monster batch of brown rice. (About 8 cups when finished) I like having a container of brown rice in my fridge at all times because it is not only a primary food source for the humans, but mixed with kibble, it's a primary food source for the dogs! (They prefer it to white rice) ;-)

Recipe for Perfect Brown Rice - Every Time!


  1. Heat 10-12 cups water in a large pot.
  2. When the water is at a rolling boil
  3. Add 3 cups brown rice
  4. Cook for 30 minutes with the lid on, but canted to allow steam to escape.
  5. Drain rice in a colander or strainer, then
  6. Place rice back in the pot, cover it, and let it set (away from any heat source) for 10 minutes.
  7. Fluff with a fork and serve.
Note: If you like adding flavoring, such as bouillon, butter, or salt, I find it's best to do so after you've boiled the rice, while it's setting for 10 minutes.


Let the brown rice boil for 30 minutes

Drain the water from the brown rice, then
put it back into the pot, cover and let it sit for 10 minutes

Comments