Ooey Gooey Vegan Chocolate Cake (No Oil)


Jim and I send off a care package each month to his elderly parents, and since his Dad likes the baked-goods we send him so much, I thought I'd try to make him a cake for Father's Day.

I don't know about you folks, but I hate biting into a "healthy dessert" that - quite frankly - tastes like cardboard... yuck! So, I thought I'd try to "veganize" my old standby recipe on the back of the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa canister. You won't miss the milk, oil, or eggs one bit!

Ooey Gooey Vegan Chocolate Cake (No Oil)

Ingredients:
2 cups Sugar
1 3/4 cup Flour
3/4 cup Cocoa
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbsp Cornstarch
1 tsp Salt
2 Bananas (mashed well - you won't taste them at all unless you use REALLY ripe ones)
1 cup Soy Milk (or you can try almond, coconut...be creative!)
2 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Boiling Water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spray and flour two 9-inch cake pans

In a large mixing bowl, add:
Sugar, Flour, Cocoa, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Cornstarch, and Salt
Give everything a good stir - it will keep the cocoa from "poofing" all over the place as you mix in the wet ingredients.

In the same bowl, add:
Prune Paste, Mashed Bananas, Soy Milk, and Vanilla
Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes

Pour in 1 cup Boiling Water and stir well with a spoon. When water is completely mixed-in, pour slowly into cake pans and place on middle rack of preheated oven.

Cook for 30-35 minutes until done in middle (when toothpick comes out clean)

Cool for 15-20 minutes.

Mix boiling water with 4 Tbsps each Cocoa and Sugar to create chocolate drizzle/icing (as shown)

Comments

  1. make sure you put 4 TBsp cocoa sugar and water into the recipe. i am confused as we speak..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica,
      Are you referring to the line that says: "Mix boiling water with 4 Tbsps each Cocoa and Sugar to create chocolate drizzle/icing (as shown)"? Because that refers to the cake topping only and is completely optional... does that help clear the confusion? :)
      Sheila

      Delete
  2. Oh I have been looking for a great chocolate cake/cupcake recipe for my birthday on the 29th, can't wait to make this...yay! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Happy birthday!! My daughter will be 29 this June and she will be expecting me to make this cake... and peanut butter ice cream, of course. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much Sheila...oooh pb ice-cream...sound de-lish!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! This cake has turned out amazing 3 times now! I made it for my 3 year olds birthday this past Saturday and everyone loved it. I am so happy I found something that nobody knew anything was different. We did have to make it gluten free as well and I added some xantham gum (which I never have any luck with) and it was still perfect! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, I'm so glad you and your family like it! Can you share the details of what you changed for anyone else who might be interested? Thanks so much for your comment - you made my day! :-) Sheila

      Delete
  5. Hi Sheila I would love to try this. Would it be better to use All purpose flour or Whole wheat pastry flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All purpose works much better for me, but if you want to mix a bit of whole wheat pastry flour with the AP, I think you'll still get that "ooey-gooey" texture. :-) Good luck!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much! I made it with the All purpose and it is delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment