Macaroni and Cheese (Vegan, No Oil)

I recently read an article on the NPR site about the growing market for meat substitutes and how much better the products are now. I have to say, I am a huge fan of most of the meat substitutes out there and buy them regularly, but cheese?... PLEASE, I thought there was NO way there could be a decent vegan cheese. So, although still skeptical, the article emboldened me to give it a try - to see what those evil geniuses in the lab had come up with. I must say, I am IMPRESSED! Try this mac N cheese recipe and you'll make believers out of everyone at the table!



Macaroni and Cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Ingredients:
1 box pasta of your choice
1 medium onion
2 cups unflavored soy milk
6 slices vegan cheese product
1 teaspoon table salt
3 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper or cayenne (vegan cheese is bland, so you'll need the garlic & pepper!)

Cook one box of your choice of pasta (I like the shells for this recipe) according to package directions. Rinse with cool water, place in a medium sized casserole dish.

Dice one medium onion and cook on medium-high in a pot with 1/3 cup water or vegetable bouillon until soft.

Add 2 Tblsp flour (use a bit more or less as needed to absorb the liquid from the onions)

SLOWLY add soy milk while stirring with a fork or small whisk to keep the roux smooth as you turn it into the creamy base for your macaroni and cheese dish. Continue adding the entire 2 cups of soy milk and heat through.

Sprinkle in the salt, garlic and pepper.

Break the slices of cheese into the cream mixture until all 6 have been added. (If you try a bite, like I did, and don't like the taste - don't worry... this cheese is SO MUCH better when cooked!)

Keep stirring until all of the cheese has melted into the cream mixture (it doesn't take long), then pour over the cooked pasta and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Serve warm with your choice of veggies.

Serving Suggestions:
  • Add mushrooms to the onion.
  • Add fresh or frozen green peas or mixed veggies just prior to putting the casserole in the oven.
  • Sprinkle with breadcrumbs just prior to baking.
  • Add some more "zing" with pepper flakes, or diced peppers.
  • Add some maple bacon tempeh.

Comments

  1. If you can find it, I HIGHLY recommend the "no-moo" cheese products. It seriously tastes just like real cheese! My boyfriend (an omnivore) was even impressed, so you know it's good :) The recipe looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip - I'll see if they carry it locally. :)

      Delete
  2. Sheila, great recipe...another thing I have discovered for "cheese" sauce is nutritional yeast...it has a cheesy flavor and it is great on popcorn...take 1 cup of almond milk and mix in 1/4 cup (more if you want or less)nutritional yeast (found in health food store bulk or bag)stir over a med heat and add some flour to thicken...I pretty much do this by sight so I don't have a recipe but you can play with it and add seasonings...it makes a great sauce for noodles or potatoes even...blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've bee wanting to try the nutritional yeast, but I can't find it here... guess it's time to hit the internet. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment