Sweet N Hot Teriyaki Sauce [Vegan]





Miss those trips to the local Teriyaki restaurant? I know I do... but this recipe just might help with that! A nice thick teriyaki sauce for you to have on-hand for all your rice and veggie dishes - sure to add that little "zing" you were looking for - without fear of High Fructose Corn Syrup and other little nasty additives they're putting into everything.
:-P

Sweet N Hot Vegan Teriyaki Sauce

In a sauce pan, mix & heat the following ingredients:

1/4 cup soy sauce (or Bragg's Liquid - I prefer it to soy sauce)
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (omit if you don't want spicy)
5 tablespoons packed organic brown sugar
1-2 tablespoons agave nectar

Heat ingredients to a boil, then turn down until it just barely bubbles (otherwise the cornstarch mix won't bind).

In a separate dish, mix together:

2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup ice-cold water

Add cornstarch mix to hot mixture slowly, stirring constantly. Cook until desired thickness is obtained. Remove from heat and cool before serving or storing.

I used an old salad-dressing cruet to store the teriyaki sauce, it was the perfect size and allows me to pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds before serving the next time.

Comments

  1. Just wondering if you've ever used anything besides the cornstarch when making this. I have never substituted for it in anything, though I try my best now more than ever to avoid as many corn products as I can. I'm with you - having a homemade teriyaki sauce on hand would be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never used one of the substitutes, but I know many other vegans do. I hope you like the sauce, it's a big hit at the Broumley house! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment